Organization: Visual Artists Newfoundland & Labrador (VANL-CARFAC)
Position: One Year Contract – Recruitment Coordinator
This project aims to increase VANL-CARFAC’s membership and supply our organization with a more diverse and robust network of artists from which to draw our board members and committee volunteers. We’re looking for a Member Recruitment Coordinator who is passionate about working with people and has great organizational skills. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, able to work independently and have a strong interest in arts advocacy and working with a membership-based organization.
VANL-CARFAC is the provincial sectoral organization for visual artists in Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as the provincial affiliate of Canadian Artists Representation/Le Front des artistes canadiens. Our mandate is to raise the socioeconomic status of visual artists in the province through advocacy, information services, professional development, and liaising with cultural stakeholders including the public, arts organizations, galleries and all levels of government.
The purpose of this project is to develop and implement new strategies to recruit new members and board members to the organization, as well as to improve board governance and member services. VANL-CARFAC’s motto, “artists working for artists,” is one we take very seriously and as the umbrella organization for the province’s visual arts sector it is important that we ensure that VANL-CARFAC reflects both the demographic and geographic makeup of our province.
- Actively recruit new members and board members and maintain our current membership base.
- Develop a comprehensive contact/network list of members, former and potential board members, current students and recent graduates from visual arts programs, stakeholder organizations, Indigenous governments, and arts organizations.
- Recruitment for, and establishment of, a board nominations committee.
- Develop and implement a reusable recruitment plan for new members to the organization and for new board members from across the province.
- Determine the needs of artists and stakeholders in Newfoundland and Labrador through surveys and consultations to be better equip the organization to meaningfully advocate for a sustainable visual arts sector
- Attend all VANL-CARFAC Board meetings, as well as all relevant committee meetings.
- Update and expand VANL-CARFAC board orientation materials, governance agreement for incoming board members outlining responsibilities, relevant bylaws, and codes of conduct.
- Grant writing
- Plan and administer an outreach trip to Labrador to connect with Labrador artists and stakeholders.
- Maintain bookkeeping and a record of all project expenses (in concert with VANL-CARFAC bookkeeper and staff).
- Plan and administer a Fall board orientation meeting, governance and strategic planning sessions and our 2024 AGM.
- Write and compile the final project report and present project outcomes to our membership at the 2023 annual general meeting.
- Other duties as required.
- Completion of a visual arts OR human resources related degree from a post secondary institution, OR the equivalent in professional experience in visual arts, human resources or a related field.
- Some experience or specific interest in arts advocacy and policy development.
- Organized, deadline oriented and a self starter.
- Some familiarly with the visual arts sector in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Ability to self-direct and set ongoing goals and objectives, as well as ability to work with board of directors, committees and staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Grant writing experience will be considered an asset.
- Some familiarity with Word, Excel, MailChimp, WordPress will be considered an asset.
- Ability to think creatively and take initiative.
- Highly organized.
This position is 35 hours a week for 50 weeks
This position will follow a hybrid work structure and include a combination of both in person and remote work, to be determined based on the requirements of specific tasks and situations.
VANL-CARFAC Employees will also receive a partial contribution to the cost of a basic health and dental plan
Deadline for application: July 19th 2023
For more information, or to email a resume and cover letter contact: (toll free) 1-877-738-7303 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include at least two references with your resume.
Resumes/Cover letters can also be mailed or delivered in person to: *
Visual Artists Newfoundland & Labrador (VANL-CARFAC)
155 Water St.
St. John’s, NL
(* Mailed applications must be postmarked no later than July 19th)
VANL-CARFAC is dedicated to accessible employment practices and is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace that is reflective of our community and encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on age, race, color, gender, disability, national origin or any other protected ground under the Newfoundland and Labrador Human Rights Act. If you require reasonable accommodation in applying for this position, interviewing or otherwise in participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the contact information above.